Thursday, July 12, 2007

REJECTIONS: One baby down and five to go of my babies I had shipped out into the big outside world of make-believe. We all know writers live in the real world. Below I will share a line from my most recent (today) rejection letter.

While you have a unique premise, unfortunately the storyline and overall tone weren't really working for me. Restructured sentence to cut to the heart of the problem: You do have a unique premise; unfortunately the storyline and overall tone didn't work for me.

A. Unique: exclusive, exceptional and distinctive
B. Premise: idea, foundation and/or principle
(A&B the character builder to soften the blow)

C. Unfortunately: regrettably, sadly and sorry-to-say
D. Storyline: plot, action, and story
(C&D melodrama - set-up the background music with the violins playing soft sad notes)

Now, we end with the biggie, the blow to the heart of a hard working writer.
E. OVERALL: the word is screaming at me drowning out the melodically weeping sounds of the violin orchestra.

I MUST rebuild my confidence, put on a breastplate to protect my heart, dry the tears of my babies (characters) and push them once again and maybe, again and again out into the big world's peering eyes.

At birth a writer's veins are filled with energy to march forward with the burden of forming stories that must be told- this is the blood of a storyteller and a recorder of history.

No comments: