Tuesday, April 24, 2007

AR/SCBWI conference was April 13-14. The two editors, Alexandra Cooper, associate editor at Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers and Liz Waniewski, an editor for Dial Books for Young readers presented information on what types of books they were looking for, how they should be written, and what to write in a query/cover letter. I will be submitting to each of the editors.

Lin Oliver shared important information on how to write children's books and how she and Stephen Mooser started the SCBWI organization. It took lots of hard work to make it a success story today of 22,000 members from all over the world.

We also had Arkansas author and former Regional Advisor Darcy Pattison presenting programs.
Thanks to our Regional Advisor Carla Killough McClafferty and members for a special conference. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones.

Special thanks to Sandy Fox, former regional advisor who has written for children's magazines, Institute of Children's Literature's books and newsletters and the adult market not only provided me with a ride to the conference, but helped deliver 85 attendees bags in a rain storm.

Several critique groups will be starting up in different Arkansas locations. I have lots of projects I am working on;mostly non-fiction. Plus, I want to read more books. I purchased four at the conference and I am reading my uncle's book, "The Niday House" filled with historical facts of the times 1748-1815. The words I keep repeating to myself is, no matter what: NEVER GIVE UP.

2 comments:

Louella Bryant said...

Do you know how I can get a copy of "The Niday House"? Johann David von Nida is an ancestor. Thanks. ~ Ellie Bryant (www.louellabryant.com)

Life's Beautiful Path said...

my uncle melvin wrote that book. i'll get back to you later. you can email jack nida. he is on facebook. sorry, i had surgery. talk later. mary nida