Friday, December 22, 2006

Writing non-fiction books for 2007. My walk in the woods yesterday with my camera in hand I found more material/photos to insert in my fungi and oddities folder. When my granddaughter was visiting she wanted to know what that large thing was among the trees. I thought if she is curious, so would other children. I have gathered a lot of interesting oddities on my everyday walks. I was walking along the shores of the White River taking pictures of the ghost trees and I wanted one filled with vultures. But, they flew away before I got a picture. There is one where the eagles hang out when they arrive in January. Mr. Gaston was there looking for creatures to photography for his website. He said he gets his photos of vultures from the new vistors center. His camera was more powerful than mine. Gaston's White River Resort has nature trails that I hope to walk this spring when it is warm and streamy.

I am disappointed each year as the State and Federal Parks continue to up-grade by cutting down trees and bushes with it comes lots of burning of underbrush and leaves. We move or come to visit to see nature at its best. Every year there is less wild flowers, birds and small animals. If I wanted to see a manicured park, I would have visited the city parks.

Now, I will get off my high horse or soap box to finish my books that kids and adults will be able to see pictures of what was. I love people who set out to create oddites for all of us to enjoy. The book, Eccentric America is filled with wonderful surprises.

No comments: