Sunday, June 03, 2007

Gardening is magical with daily discoveries. We had a slow drizzling rain with heavy morning dew and the air was filled with mist. This brings magical fungi/mushrooms appearing on the woodland floor. I discovered among the bed of wild violets what I believe is a finger fungi; tall, thin and white. Scattered in different areas were yellow, peach, and purple colored mushrooms and ones that appeared as little brown cups or birds nest and a large white one with black gills. One of the yellow ones I picked to see how it would dry. The fungi/mushrooms,/toadstools quickly disappear for the squirrels and chipmunks enjoy the favor of several such as the peach and dark tan.

I took lots of photos where later I will research for names. To an amateur many look alike. They will be added to the book I am writing.

In the midst the birds were squawking at me as they flew low trying to remove me from what they believe are their woods. The Three-toed box turtle and the South Painted turtle were quickly heading out searching for insects or a mate. The Mississippi Mud turtle is still living under the dirt near my deck steps.

A few days ago, I put in my herb garden. I had dill and oregano coming up and my faithful chives. The weeds, stonecrop and cypress vine was taking over. The dill and parsley are for the swallowtail butterflies. One year we had ten caterpillars all different sizes eating on the dill. The sweet basil, sage and rosemary I use fresh, dried and added to vinegar. Some herbs I use to keep insects away and to freshen up the closets.

I created a few garden ornaments from clay pots and odds and ends. My deck is full, so I need to find the right place in my garden rooms to display each one.

Nature's song sings to me to explore and enjoy for God has blessed the earth.

No comments: