Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wildlife in my world: Redheaded woodpeckers, spiders, deer and humming birds.

The days are rushing toward next month as I continue to make changes in my lifestyle. Day’s pop-up as I look over my list of things to do. Each day the plans take small detours. Some are a welcome surprise to move me in new directions in 2009 and others detain my daily chores from being productive.

The Redheaded woodpeckers have returned from up North. They and a squirrel delighted me with special photo opportunities. They seem to know I had left my camera in the car. Yesterday, I didn’t leave it, so a couple of big does posed for me.

People are complaining we have too many deer in this area. Just a couple of weeks ago before deer hunting season, people were asking, “Where are all the deer?”
This is what I have observe - Deer go into hiding after rutting season, come out in May and June after the fawns are born to fatten up and teach the fawns how to survive. Hunting season will drive the deer in around homes hoping for protection from being shot. After hunting season they disappear, except if someone is feeding them corn.

Yesterday, the little chippy that lives under the deck was standing looking in the patio window. I had brought in the potted plants where it had planted sunflower seeds. They are growing in every pot. I think it was trying to figure why it couldn't reach them.

The woodpeckers and other birds have been staying away. The suet wasn't touched so we come to the conclusion the last patch of suet was bad. We’ll have to try another store and hope it has good suet. Leaving food out for the hummers into November will help a youngster that wasn’t ready to fly south to grow and follow in a couple of days, or provide food for one traveling through.

In the garage I killed a large spider with two white dots on its back. I looked at a lot of photos on different websites, but I have been unable to identify it. There must be a million species. Spiders frighten me, yet I love to watch, photograph and identify them.

No comments: