Sunday, March 30, 2008

Writing... quitting what I love to do. There isn't a week that goes by the thought doesn't enter my mind. Sometimes my love to create is overwhelming. I have been writing for several years. I continue daily with ideas filling my thoughts that ache to be put down on paper. I have files filled with unfinished ones, ones that need rewriting (some a little, some a lot), and others that need a cover letter, envelope and a stamp to be sent on their way.

I use to set my weekly goals too high. When I couldn't mark off the complete list, I felt I had failed. Now, I place three projects a week on the list. When I have marked them all off I have a good feeling of accomplishment. If I can work it in, I start another project. If I can't no big deal.

I have written reviews for the Oregon Journal (Portland), a regular monthly contributor for Farm Lines ( an Idaho newspaper magazine), a weekly column and stringer for the Port Orchard Independent (Port Orchard, WA), several articles for The Ozarks Mountain News and submitted to several other newspapers. I have written on training horses for flat track racing, chariot racing, raising Tennessee Walkers, The Pony Club, balancing a farm and a small town business, Idaho noxious weeds, white mules and the list gos on.

Magazines: Northwest Living I published articles on natures arrangements, Christmas on the desert and chariot racing. Grit: In Hobbies and Crafts "Tiny Town" and in My Favorite Garden "Garden Oasis" and several small pieces. Good Old Days Special: "Christmas among the Wolves" and Rural Arkansas: "Cicada season." The Ozarks Mountaineer several small pieces (To a writer a small piece is as important as a big piece.), a poem and the article "Rocky Ridge Refuge." The Ozarks magazine: "Chives for all Seasons," "Magical Mopheads" and "Dandelions:The Shepherd's Clock."

I have published poems. opinion pieces, photographs, illustrations, stories, articles and etc. Each one was a big boost to keep me going. My book, Submarine Stories of World War II for boys ten and up. It is filled with real adventure stories of teenage boys on their first time away from home sailing aboard submarines and what they endured to help win World War II.

I continue to submit picture book manuscripts and poems to children's magazines. I have finished two books for the adult market that I need to submit. I need to remember to relax and enjoy the blessings that are bestowed on me each day. I must remember not to push myself beyond what I am able to accomplish.

No comments: